Monday, August 27, 2012

1776 & After

Sunday, August 26, 2012

It was a long and great day of early travel to Philadelphia and time spent at the most famous of Philadelphia's Colonial Era sites: Independence Hall, Congress Hall and the Liberty Bell. But before I got there I was able to worship with EPIC Church in the heart of the city. They are a 4-year old ministry that is reaching this city for Christ. I was encouraged and challenged.

I'm glad I made this my last trip of the summer. The Revolutionary Period is my favorite in history and my heart is already more excited about life in just 4-5 hours. (I'm writing this on Sunday night without wi-fi access). I've been here twice before - as a child and with my own kids. Today I was able to walk more slowly, spend time wherever I wanted and contemplate some of what went on in these historic places.
Because of the Lilly Grant I'm able to fill my stay with a Colonial theme starting with a Bed & Breakfast built in 1769, The Thomas Bond House. The hosts are friendly, the decor is of the period and it just feeds my love for that time. Dinner was at The City Tavern, across the street from the B & B. Yes, I've been there before but when you love an atmosphere, you go again and again.

Tomorrow I get to the heart of why Philadelphia. I've picked up off my library shelves some research that's lain fallow for 15 years, The Life & Ministry of Rev. Francis McCormick: Father of Methodism in the Northwest Territory. I've got 8 three-ring binders of material, one of which is a draft for a small book. Here in Philadelphia is the St. George's UMC in whose archive is the journal of Rev. William Jesop, the first Methodist McCormick heard near his hometown of Summit Point, WV.

Wednesday I'll head to Summit Point, WV to the farm once owned by Francis' grandfather. A providential connection through a historical society put me in touch with the present owner.

Of course, this being my last week of Sabbatical, I've also got some work to be done for Sunday. Philadelphia and the B & B are a great combination for it. I'm excited about being here. I'm excited for this weekend. It's a great week and it's only just begun.

What makes your heart sing? What is it that excites you? Pursuing those things renews passion, opens the heart to possibilities. Whether it's for a moment or a week or more, God wants us to do the thing that make our hearts sing because ultimately we sing for Him

No comments:

Post a Comment