Thursday, August 23, 2012

Making An Exit

We exit a highway. We exit a building. We can exit a relationship or a car, through a door or through a window. Exit stage right or stage left. Most of that is pretty easy, except for the relationship exit which can get messy. But none of it compares to exiting Costa Rica.

Each August John and I have tried to do a "guy trip" and this one to Costa Rica was fantastic thanks to the Lilly Grant. Getting into Costa Rica was easy....a few questions, a kind welcome, an easy entrance. We found the people of Costa Rica friendly and helpful.....until we tried to leave.

To leave Costa Rica everyone is required to pay an exit tax of $28 per person. What's not well advertised is to use a credit card they charge a cash advance or you can use a debit card. However, with a business account card you can't do a cash advance and we had no debit card. When I asked: "What do I do now?" The answer: "I don't know. Next."

No one was helpful in the airport. It was an incredibly disappointing end to a great trip. So I sent John on ahead with his tax receipt while calling home and our travel agent to try to figure something out before it cost me $1000 or more for a new flight.

As I'm talking with the agent a young man, Daniel, overhears and asks: "How much do you need?" I told him and he said, "No problem. I can take care of it." When I offered to send him a check he replied: "Absolutely not. I'm glad to help." Daniel is from Switzerland, ending two months in Costa Rica. We talked for a few minutes more as we stood in line and then parted ways. An angel in disguise.

The fun wasn't over yet. The flight to Houston had a medical emergency which required us to wait for the EMT's to come on board. It didn't look life-threatening and there was a doctor with the Dutch group the young lady was with. Next was Customs. 80 possible lanes, 4 open for Citizens, 6 open for Visitors and the lines were equally long. 4 uniformed persons standing around. Several of us decided they were supervising the 4 lanes!! Tax dollars at work. Our flight to Cincinnati took off while we waited.

The good news is we only spent 6 hours in the airport. The last time I was stuck in Houston it was 12 hours (another story for another time).

Photos and more blogs to come today and tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment